Monday, February 1, 2010

March Violets Interpretation Part 2

Part Two: Reflection after hearing song performed-I do feel that hearing the song assisted in my interpretation,emphasizing more on the mood that the song creates. The song has a depressing,sad, low tone. I did not interpret the tone to be "sad" when I read the lyrics. I assumed that the tone would be angry and loud when it discussed war. When the song was sung it put emphasis on specific parts of the song, such as the chorus, "Can you tell them apart?" which is a strong part of the song because in a war, the men may begin to wonder what it is that sets them apart from the other men that they are killing.

2 comments:

  1. Hearing something as opposed to reading it is always a better form of interpretation. When you send a letter, or text, or email, any of your thoughts can be misconstrued in the process. Where as when you hear the a person speak or a song that is sung, rather then just reading it on paper, you can actually FEEL the expressions of the author. I agree with your statement on what you think the chorus means. Many people would question themselves when they were at war with their comrades. As they see fellow comrades go down, or even the enemies go down sometimes they would question "what makes me different them them?", "What makes me better?", "Why do I deserve to live and not them?". These are all questions I'm assuming contribute to the phrase "Can you tell them apart?"

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, it is interesting to read what you said because I thought that the song would be quite angry as well. The song,after hearing it, put in a different mood but definitely added this notion about a type of deprivation in the piece. Something is deprived and no matter what you do- if it is listening to the song or reading the lyrics- it all seems lost and in some sort of chaos.
    Also, what I liked about this piece is that you can attack it in many ways. Not only the war aspect, but also, the aspect about your own self "war" and maybe there is something inside each one of us that desires or even suffers from a battle.

    ReplyDelete